Hello. So recently when I was shopping online for my grocery I saw an entry for fresh Strawberries and cherries. I was pleasantly surprised but skeptic if actually the picture shown would be what will be delivered. Anyways I ordered them and was sure it would be cancelled out. You may think why ? In my place you don’t get the juicy, fresh and vibrant strawberries, blueberries, etc.
So when I got beautiful strawberries we made these muffins. By we I mean to say me and my 2 year old. He helped me with the batter mixing and sorting out strawberries. But I wanted a healthy version hence skipped maida and replaced with whole wheat. Do try and let me know if you liked them.
Chopped Strawberries – 1 cup
Whole Wheat flour – 1& 3/4 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup (add more if you need more sweet)
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup (I used sunflower oil)
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp ( I used cardamom powder)
Egg – 1
- Grease cupcake moulds with oil. If you are using silicone moulds then you can skip this step.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degress celcius.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder in a bowl.
- Add sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add 3/4 chopped strawberries and mix well.
- Add this batter in cupcake moulds. Fill only till 3/4 of the moulds.
- Top with remaining strawberries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or till a skewer or knife inserted comes out clean.
Enjoy these colored beauties. Oh and by the way don’t discard this recipe if you don’t have strawberry. You can make this with chocolate chips too. Also if you love good photos do not forget to follow me on instagram.
Hey There. Its lovely rains in this part of the world. The weather is cooler. The trees are bathing everyday. Washed clothes are begging for some sunlight. So with this weather its time for deep fried goodies. Why don’t a add a healthy twist.
Today’s recipe is just that. Palak wada is your usual wada with the goodness of palak.
Palak – 1 cup chopped
Urad dal – 1 cup soaked minimum 3-4 hours
Green chilly – 1
Shallots – 2-3
Black Pepper – 1 tsp (Optional)
Oil – for deep frying
Salt to taste
- Take chopped palak in blender and blend.
- Add soaked urad dal, shallots, green chilly, salt and blend. Add little water if required. Blend till a smooth batter is formed.
- Add whole black pepper and mix well.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Take spoonfuls of batter and drop it in oil. If you can shape it like wadas well and good.
- Fry till both sides turn golden brown.
- Drain on tissue or soaking paper.
Enjoy with a chutney of your choice.
You know these days I feel that 24 hours is not enough and I need more hour in hand. The health sections everywhere says it is ideal and good to get good 7-8 hours of sleep. And I hardly manage to get 5-6. So, the days when I oversleep (actually sleep healthy) I wake up in a hurry and do things in a hurry. Those days my patience is low and I am literally running around to catch up on things.
Does that happen to you? What do you think are the reasons for it? Well I think we women tend to take up so much on our hands. I am not saying we do not do a good job of doing them. Instead we end up doing maybe an average job on all and then end up tired. So, things like delegation, negotiation, work load division, etc. all come to the rescue. But it needs to used well and with patience. You may ask how a food recipe is related to all this. It is my friends. This recipe is a quick side dish recipe for rotis.
Soya chunks – 1 cup
Carrot – 1 cubed
Cream – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 medium
Tomato – 2 medium
Ginger – garlic paste – 1 tsp (optional)
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tblspn
Oil – 2 tblspn
Salt to taste
- Boil soya and carrots in water till cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute onions in oil.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell leaves.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are soft.
- Take it off the flame.
- Blend it together in a blender till smooth paste.
- Transfer it back to pan and add coriander powder, chilly and garam masala powder.
- Mix well.
- Add the soya and carrot pieces along with water.
- Boil for another 5 minutes.
- Add cream and mix well.
- Bring to a boiling point. But do not boil.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with rotis.
Hey There. So how have you been ? When I watch food shows and they show a whole variety of sandwiches but I wonder if our taste buds would love those sandwiches with bacon, meat, different kind of cheese and veggies.
I try to include veggies in my sandwiches. So the veggies that are usually ignored I try to include them in pastas and sandwiches. Do try out this recipe and let me know if you liked it.
Bread Slices – 8
Boiled mashed potato – 1/2 cup
Cooked grated carrot – 1/2 cup
Cooked grated beetroot – 1/2 cup
Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Black salt – as per taste
Grated cheese – as per taste
Butter – for greasing
- Mix mashed potato, beetroot and carrot in a bowl.
- Add cumin, pepper and salt.
- Take bread slices and spread a little butter on each slice
- Place the stuffing in between two slices.
- Add grated cheese.
- Cover with second slice of bread.
- Place it in sandwich maker and grill till nice, crispy and golden.
Serve hot with some ketchup.
As promised this is my second recipe for today. With the flavorful Jamun. Jamun is a fruit that is not exceptionally sweet. It is an acquired taste. But it is medicinal and healthy for you.
This recipe is super simple and healthy. All the ingredients are healthy for us and during summer this recipe is apt to quench your thirst.
Pitted Jamun – 1 cup
Slim Yogurt – 1/2 cup
Honey – 4 tblspn
- In a blender take yogurt and honey and blend till smooth.
- Remove half of the yogurt honey mix into another container.
- In the remaining yogurt honey mix add the pitted jamun. (keep some jamun spare if you like pieces in your popsicle.
- Blend it well.
- Take the ice cream moulds.
- Add jamuns in each mould.
- Add yogurt honey mix till mould is half full.
- Now add the yogurt honey jamun mix till the mould is 3/4 full. Do not completely fill the moulds.
- With a skewer swirl the contents of the moulds.
- Close the lid of the moulds and freeze it for atleast 5-6 hours or overnight.
Simple isn’t it. So don’t rush to buy ice cream when kids demand it. Prepare this yummy and healthy Popsicle at home. Enjoy.
Hello. Hope you had a great start to the weekend. Few days back when I went to grocery shopping in the fruits section I found this violet colored fruit that immediately transformed me to my childhood days. Jamun or black plum is a fruit we as kids would enjoy it during summer holidays. It used to stain our clothes and we used to get scolded by our parents. 😛 We used to have this fruit and rush to look at our tongues in the mirror. Hence I immediately picked up a packet and used them in two recipes that I will share today.
This recipe is for overnight oats. Overnight oats is an acquired taste. I am slowly starting to like it. And it is one of the healthiest recipes today that people of every age can enjoy.
Jamun – 1/2 cup pitted
Slim Yogurt – 1/4 cup
Slim milk – 1/4 cup
Honey – 4 tblspn
Chia Seeds – 2 tblspn
Cut Fruits – Banana, Jamun, Pomegranate
Sunflower seeds – 1 tblspn (optional)
- Take yogurt, jamun, milk and honey in a blender and blend.
- Take this a bowl and add oats and mix well.
- Add chia seeds and mix well.
- Close and keep it in fridge overnight.
- Before serving add sunflower seeds and chopped fruits.
You can add more milk if you need to make it of thin consistency. I carried it to my office. You can have your choice of fruits and nuts. Enjoy.
Hello!!! So much to everyone’s relief it is raining here. I love rains and everything that comes with it. Except thunder and lightning. J Rains for me means hot pakodas, masala chai, childhood memories of paper boats and antakshari (songs game) when electricity went out. What does it mean to you?
I make lots of fritters, pakodas, bhajiya. My blog has lots of them. I do try to increase the health quotient if I am not able to get away with deep frying. Also these foods are awesome way to finish your leftovers. Don’t you think? And kids love these kind of foods.
Today’s recipe is a simple recipe made from banana flower. Banana flower is super healthy. And you get lots in this part of the world. Usually we end up making thoran (stir fry with coconut) and have it with rice. But this time I decided to make these small bullets out of them. My shaping is not that good so pardon me there. But do try the recipe and let me know if you enjoyed it for your tea time snack.
Chopped Banana flower – 1 cup
Onion – 1 medium finely chopped
Boiled Potato – 1 cup
Garlic paste – ½ tsp (optional)
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
Fennel powder – ½ tsp
Chat masala – ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Breadcrumbs – ½ cup or as needed
Egg – 1 Or Maida – 2 tblspn
Black Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
Oil – 1 tblspn + for shallow frying
Salt to taste
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add chopped onion and saute till transluscent.
- Add garlic paste and saute till raw smell leaves.
- Add chopped banana flower and saute nicely.
- Add 2 tblspn water and close and cook on low flame.
- Once cooked add chilly powder, coriander powder, chat masala, fennel powder, turmeric and salt and cook for another 5 minutes with continuous stirring.
- Switch off and let the mixture cool.
- Add grated boiled potato to this mixture and mix well. (You can mash the potato too but I prefer grated as it gives me fine mashed potatoes)
- Adjust salt if required.
- Now let’s start assembling and frying. In a plate add breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl beat an egg with little salt and pepper powder. (Optionally for vegetarian you can make a slurry with maida and little water to make a thin slurry)
- Heat a pan with oil for frying. (If using non-stick then just 1-2 tblspn would be enough)
- Take a portion of the banana flower – potato mix and shape it as you like.
- Dip it in the egg mix or maida slury.
- Now coat it in breadcrumbs.
- Place it on pan to be fried.
- Turn and cook on each side.
- Do this for each patty.
Goes well with ketchup and green chutney. Enjoy your rains and banana flower bullets.