Kanji Payar Recipe is comfort food of Kerala. It is healthy, tasty and simple. Kanji is rice gruel and it is had hot with green gram (moong) thoran and papad. It is easily digestible hence it is recommended food during sickness or stomach upset. Green gram is a super food for weight loss and is loaded with vitamins. The papad can be deep fried or roasted on low flame. This recipe calls for no oil at all.
- 1 cup boiled rice
- 1 cup green gram
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Few sprigs of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 4 papad
- To begin making the Kanji Payar recipe, wash and add rice and salt in 3 cups water in pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle on high flame and lower the flame for 15 minutes.
- Take green gram in pressure cooker with 1 cup water and salt.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle and switch off the flame.
- Once the pressure is released cook off the excess water.
- In a blender add coconut, garlic, cumin, green chilly, turmeric and blend. The mixture can be coarse and not very pasty.
- Add this mixture to the cooked green gram and mix well. Add curry leaves and mix well.
- Roast the papad on low flame. Serve all three hot.
This gruel is also good for toddlers and kids. It fills up the tummy and since the water content is high it helps heal dehydration. You can also serve it with Kerala style mango pickle commonly known as Kadu manga.
This recipe was published in Archana’s kitchen