I admit I have not eaten much pasta dishes outside. Even when I order somehow I don’t get the satisfaction that I can get from say an Indian curry. May be that is my genes speaking. So I am trying a lot of pasta dishes at home and guess what I am loving it. So is my son. Spaghetti aglio olio was a hit hence I decided to do a different type of pasta. I love the title by the way. Its like P cube …hehhehe
Please don’t be like me and judge the dish to be complicated. Often we hear or see something and make up our minds that it will be tough. It is half an hour cook with the ingredients in hand. If you are a pasta lover then you will surely love this. Pesto is basically a sauce that has garlic, cheese, olive oil, herbs and nuts. Let me go straight to the dish.
Pesto recipe source
Coriander Leaves- a bunch
Almonds – 12-15
Olive Oil – 1/4 cup
Garlic – 1 medium clove
Cheddar Cheese – 1/2 cup grated
Onion – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Penne Pasta: 1 cup (any pasta is good)
Water – For cooking pasta
Salt – To taste
- Add almonds in hot water and keep it for 15-20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the skin from almonds.
- Take the almonds in a blender.
- Add chopped onions, coriander leaves, garlic, cheese and salt.
- Blend it up.
- Again blend it by adding olive oil slowly. This process is known as emulsification. (If you don’t have an opening in the blender to add olive oil while the blending is in progress then you can add all at once and then blend)
- Your pesto is ready when you get a smooth paste.
- In a big pan, take lots of water and add salt.
- When it comes to boiling add the pasta and cook according to your packet instructions till al dente.
- Once the pasta is cooked drain the pasta and add it with the pesto in a bowl.
- Mix well and enjoy hot.
- If you want it to be spicy add pepper powder. (Optional)
It has the goodness of lovely coriander and almonds. What more does anyone want?